Brett Ordiway is an associate at Sorrels, Udashen & Anton. His practice focuses on federal and state criminal appeals and post-conviction proceedings.
A Dallas native, Brett joined the firm in 2013 after serving as the law clerk and then research attorney for Judge Paul Womack of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. There, he researched and drafted judicial opinions applying United States Supreme Court case law, settling disputes among Texas Courts of Appeals, and answering questions of first impression.
While attending the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, Brett worked in the appellate division of the Travis County District Attorney's Office responding to felony appeals and applications for writs of habeas corpus. He also interned in the trial division of that office and for Judge Cathy Cochran of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.
Brett received his undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin. He double majored in history and government and was inducted into honors societies for both.
Areas of Practice
- Federal and State Criminal Appeals
- Federal and State Post-Conviction Proceedings
- Texas, 2011
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2013
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2013
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 2011
- University Of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.A. - 2008
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars , 2016
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars , 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court
Past Employment Positions
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, Research Attorney, 2011 - 2013
- Travis County District Attorney, Appellate Law Clerk, 2009 - 2011
- Zeta Beta Tau